1 Year Later
On the morning of September 27, 2016, Cillian wasn’t well.
What we had thought was just a bought of the flu and a nasty cold quickly
spiraled into something very serious. I called our doctor four times that
morning, running symptoms and developments past them, and them giving me the
best information that they could’ve offered over the phone. I was stuck at home
with just Cillian, Seamus at childcare, and Ruairí at the corps; I couldn’t
drive because of the ever-increasing pain from my pubic bone being slowly split
apart by the weight of our unborn twins.
He lay on my chest breathing quick and shallow and hard. He
was so hot, flushed cheeks and sweaty curls on his forehead. We lay down on the
floor together with some cool cloths to try and cool him down when he threw up
so violently he convulsed. I called Ruairí panicked and crying to come home now
or we would need an ambulance because I was scared for our baby.
I didn’t take my eyes off of Cillian the whole way to the
Urgent Care (where we were instructed to go as, “they will get you in sooner
than an ER, where you’d have to wait in the waiting room). He was colorless, breathing labored, eyes
glassier than I knew possible.
We walked in and he threw up in the waste bin. They took the
papers from me and brought us into a triage room, where a nurse got the
pediatric doctor. She came in, listened to me for less than ten seconds and
interrupted, barking to the nurse to call 911. I buckled onto Ruairí’s arm and
burst into tears asking her, “What’s wrong?! Did I wait too long?! Will he be
okay?!” She explained that his breathing was so far deteriorated that if his
body were to give up, they didn’t have the equipment to “bring him back.” I can
remember shaking and stroking Cillian’s head while he rested on Ruairí’s shoulder.
I cried and prayed. “Jesus, be our strength.” “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.”
God brought us a gentle and caring and swift-acting team of
firefighters, followed closely by paramedics. Cillian’s oxygen levels were
plummeting. He was nowhere near stabilizing, and so into the ambulance climbed
our poor Cillian and his poor heavily pregnant mama. Ruairí followed us through
San Francisco to the hospital. The paramedic said as he administered oxygen and
albuterol, “I’m glad we got there when we did. He’s not in a good place.”
Late that night, about 11:40PM, we were moved from the ER
and into the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. Cillian had not made any
improvements no matter the oxygen/albuterol/steroid cocktail he was given.
Being true to the Mama Bear that I am, I insisted that I stay the night with
him and Ruairí go home with Séamus (who he had gone to collect and bring back to
the hospital earlier on).
I sat and held Cillian as he whimpered and growled and
huffed and screamed. He was a mess. And I was a mess. My ‘holding’ of Cillian
turned more into restraining the sick boy against my big belly because of how
the steroids were affecting his tiny body, turning him into a hulk-baby.
The night shift PICU doctor decided to “see how he fared”
with less treatment. She ordered a 20-minute break from the dosage he was
breathing through his mask every hour. The first break came, and truly my baby
boy almost died in my arms. Every machine in the room began beeping and
flashing red lights, his eyes rolled back in his head, his lips blue, and his
body that thrashed against me for hours just
moments ago went as lifeless and limp as I’d never wanted to feel. Nurses
flooded our room, darting here and there, laying across us, working to get him
breathing with oxygen levels on the rise again. I have never sobbed to Jesus
like I did in that moment. Thank you, Lord.
Morning came after a long night. We were made to try two
more ‘breaks’ in dosages until finally the doctor decided he wasn’t ready for
that yet. So they sent me down the hall to eat cold, sweaty pancakes while they
fitted Cillian with a breathing tube through his nostrils to ready him for a
continuous flow of special oxygen and albuterol together. Leaving his room, I
can remember feeling my body wracked with physical pain. I had never before
felt pain that so rivaled labor contractions, when I knew for certain that they
weren’t contractions, but just plain pain. Yet as I rounded the corner to the
room where my soggy pancakes wait and heard the screams of my baby (because who
likes things shoved up your nose, right?!), my heart ached more than any part
of my body. And I cried.
Ruairí took Séamus to childcare and came to the hospital. We
held our boy, as he had settled a bit after having the breathing tube taped to
his cheeks. Restless snuggles and playing with trucks while trying not to
disturb the 10+ tubes and wires coming off of him wasn’t easy.
A friend of ours from across the bay came to our aid and
hung out in the room with Cillian while Ruairí drove Séamus and I home for the
night before returning to the hospital himself.
I cried and winced as Séamus and I went up the stairs to bed
that night because my own pain had become so excruciating. We prayed for “brother
and daddy and the doctors and nurses and for Séamus and mummy and the babies.”
It felt good to hold my first baby, and to thank God for his life on the eve of
his third birthday.
In the morning I laid out a birthday picnic in our living
room for the sweet birthday boy. Pancakes (of the un-soggy variety) and berries
were on the menu, as requested by our big three year old. He was so happy for
this little moment carved into our day amidst the chaos that had filled his
week thus far. And so was I! But then off to childcare for him and the hospital
for me, thanks to the driving of one of our neighbors.
Another day of hospital happenings. Another day of Cillian
not making many measureable improvements.
Ruairí went to pick up Séamus that night, but only after
stopping to pick him up a bundle of red balloons. Red is Séamus’ very favorite
color, if you didn’t know. They went for a treat and then headed up to see us
at the hospital. Séamus walked in with a red Lightning McQueen balloon from his
birthday-balloon-bundle and announced, “I think Cillian will like this,” trying
to hand it to his little brother through the hospital crib bars. My caring,
compassionate boy!
The next day saw a few improvements for Cillian and he was
finally eligible to be on the regular floor, not the Pediatric ICU. The
pulmonologist came and taught Ruairí and I about our new ‘action plan’ for any
and every time that Cillian gets sick; the sniffles, a cold, a cough, etc. Not
only that, but we learned that our boy would not be bound to a machine or need
hourly treatments like in the hospital once we would be able to leave, but it
would be daily, sometimes many times daily, and it would be for the foreseeable
future for sure.
On the fifth night, our boy came home. Hallelujah! He had
lost six pounds in those five days, and he looked so sad and sunken. But home.
I went to my team of Maternal Fetal Medicine specialists the
next day, like every week of my pregnancy with the twins, and the babies were
doing well. But they could tell that I was not. Down the hall at my OB’s
office, she said that partial bedrest was in order, if I wanted to save myself
from complete bedrest for the next three months. I already couldn’t drive
because of the pain, so it seemed to me that that was enough of a step back.
But I was mistaken. My health took a nosedive. My heart was palpitating in ways
the doctors couldn’t understand (still can’t! Ha!), my lungs were heavy and
short of breath unexpectedly and without reason, my pubic bone continued to rupture
and tear apart under the weight of our precious growing babies, and I was tired thanks to the pregnancy-induced
insomnia I suffered, to name a few of the big ones.
Cillian slowly recovered. We adapted to the action plan and now
leap to listen to his lungs the moment a wheeze is heard. Séamus turned three.
The babies kept growing. I didn’t have heart failure or pulmonary embolism like
the doctors pointed towards. Ruairí held us all together. God remains faithful.
Do you know what keeps me up at night now, besides two baby
boys named Pearse and Ronán? Thinking about the ‘what-ifs.’ I have wrestled
them again and again. And the only conclusion that I can come to that brings my
weary soul peace is this: even if things had gone more wrong than they did,
God’s faithfulness would not have been in question. When I look to Him and fix
my focus there, my soul is calm even though my heart still races and beats out
of turn. When I trust that He is good in the chaos, I can entrust my babies to
His care. This past year has shaken me. For SO MANY MORE reasons than I was
able to get down on paper right now. I have been brought to the brink of
myself. And still I found Jesus to be good. To be enough. To be the one to take
my anger and doubt and cries and pain and guilt and embarrassment and lift my
chin back up. Guys, He is the One! He
is the real deal, and you don’t have to look anywhere else for what you need,
I’m telling you. I’m telling me.


Comments
Post a Comment